Never before has the practice of Yoga been so popular across the world. Today, when there is a Yoga studio in every corner of every big city, is the right time to ask the question whether current Yoga applications can lead us towards the uttama or highest Yoga experience as envisaged by the ancient sages.
The fashion of our times is to look at things in a compartmentalized and reductionist manner with yoga being no exception. For many, yoga is a set of physical exercises promising health and fitness; for others it is an intellectual or academic analysis of texts with little reverence either for the tradition or for self-practice; for a few others sustaining the tradition or the lineage alone matters regardless of its relevance or application.
Yoga as a sādhanā leading to deep meditation or samādhi, its traditional meaning, is seldom understood. Such a situation warrants us to ask fundamental questions relative to the authenticity, integrity and ingenuity of the Yoga practices and teachings today.
On this background, Indic Academy Inter Gurukula University Center, in association with Ramaiah Indic Specialty Ayurveda Restoration Hospital is happy to announce the ‘International Conference on Philosophy and Praxis of Yoga: Issues of Authenticity, Integrity, & Ingenuity‘ at MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology Campus, Bangalore, on Saturday, 15th and Sunday, 16th February, 2020.
Indica Yoga, SVYASA: Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, and IYA : Indian Yoga Association are the esteemed knowledge partners for the event. The conference is patronized by M. R. Jayaram (Chairman, Gokula Education Foundation) and Shri Hari Kiran Vadlamani (Founder, Indic Academy); and curated by Dr. Nagraj Paturi (Director, IGUC- Indic Academy) and Dr. Vinayachandra Banavathy, (Director, Indica Yoga).
– To facilitate clarity of thought on the origins, development, definitions and purpose of Yoga and the greater Yoga tradition
– To provide a comprehensive and integrated perspective on Yoga practice
– To highlight the need for proper study and application of traditional Yoga texts
– To establish the invariable link between the traditional texts, evidence-based studies and personal sādhanā as the golden triad in the path of Yoga
– To create and disseminate the awareness on the larger vision of Yoga as a Science of Consciousness at both individual and universal levels
Contours of Exploration:
In line with the main theme, the following sub-themes are considered for exploration:
– Origin and development of Yogic thought
– Continuity, exchange & dynamism in the Yoga tradition
– Studies on Yogic texts
– Integral components of Yoga sādhanā
– Yoga & Complimentary Systems
– Yoga Psychology
– Yoga and its Applications
– Space of knowledge transfer in Yoga
– Globalization of Yoga and its impacts
Dr. David Frawley (Founder, The American Institute of Vedic Studies, USA) and Prof. Makarand Paranjpe (Director, The Indian Institute of Advanced Studies, Shimla) will be delivering the Keynote Address, while Prof. T. S. Rukmani (Distinguished Professor Emeritus, Department of Religious and Cultural Studies, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada) and Dr. H. R. Nagendra (Chancellor, SVYASA, Bangalore) will deliver the Valedictory Address. Many other eminent scholars and practitioners will participate and share their views. We also have about thirty young scholars and researchers presenting their papers on the occasion.
Who should participate?
– Serious Yoga Practitioners (sādhakas)
– Yoga professionals (Yoga teachers, students, therapists etc.)
– Practitioners of Ayurveda, Vedanta systems
– Academicians and Enthusiasts of Indic Knowledge Systems
– Health and Wellness industry professionals
Inauguration Session: 09:30 – 11:00 am on 15th February, 2020
Valedictory Session: 16:00 – 17:00 pm on 16th February, 2020
Conference Venue: Seminar Hall 1, Engineering Sciences Block – II, MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Mathikere, Bangalore – 560 054
For Registrations click here.
Last date for registration: Monday, 10th February, 2020.
For more details, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or +91 6363663313
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article belong to the author. Indic Today is neither responsible nor liable for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information in the article.